Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Evolving Relationship of Creator and Audience

Notes: Flash mob
gendered writin = 90% female
Filmmaking = 90% male

I think it's interesting how the first article brought up the idea of what genders primarily do what in the fan-created response content. I never would have guessed that actual writing and story/ character work would be primarily done by women and that explosion and action remake videos would  be primarily done by men. I think that fans should have the freedom to do what they want especially when the original work is giant and has not chance of being taken over. I think the Star Wars fan content website that has the limitation that "you may not expand upon the star wars universe" is a bunch of crap. I can understand their want for creative control and them not wanting to be obligated to a certain addition in the future because fans like it, but if they do have something to write that's better that will be okay, if they don't they should come down from there high horses. Another aspect to this is probably only the really well written expansions will be popular, so if you are obligated and it's better than what you wrote, it will be better than what you wrote. It could have to do with legal reasons, but I don't agree with that limitation.

I was going to talk about every single aspect such as the Fanlib, VideoMaker and etc, but I'll just try to talk about them all in one or at least the ones I have something to say about.

I am all for fans generating content and getting the chance to "go pro" for there work. I think it gives a chance for real talent and passion to join a creative team. I do think that fanfic authors or others should be asked for their stuff to be taken to a certain extent. It's kind of a tough question because on one hand, they don't own it. It's the company's franchise, show or whatever that they're writing about, but then again it's their material. I think at the very least they should be credited for writing it and I think that gives enough to both sides. If you're so protective of your work don't post it online. It doesn't make the companies just or in the good, but it's just the way that things are.

To be honest I don't have too much to say about transmedia. The article didn't raise anything I questioned or too much at all that was even up for debate. I do think the idea of spreading your show or media over multiple places is a very cool concept. I think it's cool to get the fans involved and if they like the show they will genuinely enjoy it (if it's done "right").

No comments:

Post a Comment